Friday, April 24, 2015

Graphic Novel Reviews

The Last UnicornThe Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A masterful retelling of one of the most beloved modern fairy tale classics, Peter S. Beagle's "The Last Unicorn" shines in this fresh vivid format. With brilliant artwork by Renae De Liz, reminiscent of the animated film, this graphic novel practically bursts with life and color. From start to finish, I was mesmerized and inspired, much like the characters within the pages. The magic of "The Last Unicorn" is just as potent to day as it first came to print.

View all my reviews

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1 by Brian Holguin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I was five years old, my older brothers sat me down and made me watch our VHS copy of The Dark Crystal. I was instantly terrified and mesmerized. Today I can watch the film any time and the brilliance and imagination of Jim Henson still blows me away. I discovered this treasure of a comic while perusing graphic novels at a Barnes & Noble and knew I had to have it immediately. I was not disappointed. The concept art of Brian Froud shines in this series and the myths are woven in a way that draws you in. The artwork is exceptional and the storytelling exactly what you would expect from the magic makers at Henson.

View all my reviews

1 comment: