Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Armored Hearts Tour: Guest Post & Review


Today we feature Armored Hearts, a new Steam Punk/Christian/Fantasy novel! Trust me when I tell you this is unlike anything you'll ever read, but it's so much fun you'll soon forget that you live in a world where automation doesn't exist. ;) 

About the Book
Synopsis via Goodreads:


When a crippled young lord rescues a girl falling from a tree, it reveals a secret about himself and his mother's side of the family that could put him at the center of a war with beings he thought only existed in fairy tales.Tristan Gareth Smyth lived his entire life stuck at home at Waverly Park, left behind while his Grandfather makes trips to London, all because of his blasted wheelchair. Then an American heiress falls in his lap, literally, and he must find a way to keep her at a distance to protect not only his secret, but everyone around him from an assassin sent to kill him.

Publisher: Altwit Press
PurchaseAmazon


About the Authors

Pauline Creeden
In simple language, Pauline Creeden breaks down Biblical stories and applies them to real life in new ways. Her methods of teaching have brought new light to old scriptures. Pauline is a horse trainer from Virginia, but writing is her therapy. In her fiction, she creates worlds that are both familiar and strange, often pulling the veil between dimensions. She becomes the main character in each of her stories, and because she has ADD, she will get bored if she pretends to be one person for too long.
Melissa Turner LeeMelissa Turner Lee is a stay-at-home mom of three of the CRAZIEST boys ever. She's also the wife to a wonderful man she met when at 17, who is also the inspiration behind her awesome Painter series. Melissa has a degree in Journalism and Marketing, which she has never used. One day her husband sent her to the local book store for a day to herself. Melissa picked up Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and her life changed. She remembered being 17, falling in love. But most of all she remembered herself. She'd become "Mommy" and forgotten all about Melissa, the girl who dreamed of being a writer, but suddenly she remembered and the writing started. And It hasn't stopped.
Guest Post by the Authors:

"The Life of A Writer"


Melissa Turner Lee: Every writer approaches it differently. I’ve always considered myself a SOTP (Seat-of-the-pants) writer and in many ways I am, but after speaking with Pauline about how she writes, she is fully SOTP and I’m a blend of SOTP and a plotter. I just don’t plot on paper. My stories generally come to me by way of a character that shows up in my head. I investigate who that character is and what is going on with an interview in my mind and I find out what is going on in their world.

I usually get ready to write by listening to music to get a feel for a scene or the emotions of the character. I might take long walks or baths and let the characters play out scenes in my mind. Once I know the beginning, the end and some major plot points along the way, I finally sit down at my computer and start writing. I have a hard time writing with no plan at all. But as I start writing, a lot of things I had not planned show up, that’s when I’m SOTP. The characters surprise me with things I didn’t know about them.

I try to write often but I’m not great at committing to writing every single day. My kids are still young and my husband’s work schedule rotates and the laundry piles up. So I’m bouncing back and forth from the real world and the fiction one I’m writing. But I can fold clothes and picture the scene and sit down and write it later, so in a way, if I’m alone and it’s quiet, I’m always working on writing.



Pauline Creeden: I sit down and type. Then type some more. And when I’m not typing, I read and read and read. I am a firm believer that writers must read. Lately, most of my reading has been in the judging, editing, or reviewing category – as I’m a judge for a few contests and an Amazon Top reviewer in edition to my editor’s hat. But when I put the writing hat on, I grab a Snapple, sit down at my desk and let the characters talk to me. Often I get my best ideas just as I’m waking up in the morning, or as I’m falling asleep at night. Those are the times when my muse speaks the loudest. And sometimes I can force out words even when I don’t feel like writing. Just a paragraph or two can make all the difference. I can fix it later when I’m editing. For me, the seat-of-the-pants thing gets me my first draft which is only a little more than an outline – it’s not fit for human consumption. It’s more about the editing than the writing. Most of my works have been edited 5 to 7 times before anyone else even reads them. So that’s where the work is for me!



Thank you so much Pauline and Melissa, for visiting with us. I always find it fascinating to look into the minds of other authors. I have to say, after reading your book, I'm very impressed with y'all's ability to craft such a detailed, action-packed, fantastical world.

Now that you've heard from these gifted ladies, check out some goodies they've been so gracious as to offer up!



a Rafflecopter giveaway |

My Review

Armored HeartsArmored Hearts by Pauline Creeden

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having never before been plunged into the popular sub-genre of steam punk, I wasn’t sure what to expect when beginning Armored Hearts. I won’t share with you the details of the story so much as my thoughts while reading it. Gareth is a surly, amusing and fascinating protagonist who takes himself perhaps a bit too seriously. And our heroine is his match and opposite in every way. British vs. American. Old fashioned vs. Forward thinking. Tabitha was a favorite character of mine, with her mind for “figures” and love of “automation.” This being the first steam punk I’ve been introduced to, I am unaware of some things that might make this novel set apart from the rest of its genre. But I can already attest that no other will dare to not only put forward Christian values and pair it alongside a dash of fantasy. The fantasy element doesn’t reveal itself fully until halfway through the novel. And once it shows it sits quite well beside the wonders of automation. I loved how these authors interwove their characters stories with the fantastical world they’ve created. So many books can lean too heavily in either direction so the other elements suffer, but not so with Armored Hearts.
Cleverly titled indeed, I loved the Victorian-isms, the mechanics that obviously went into fine tuning this timeless piece. Gareth is the sort of annoying sort you can’t help but to love in the end. And Jessamine and the other females of this novel give his archaic sensibilities a run for their money. The romance, while brief is fun and light hearted while still heartfelt.
I was left with anticipation for the sequel and the gears of my imagination freshly oiled and ready for the next grand adventure.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Awesome guest post. Great review. Thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting them through your tour company! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to be introduced to these smashing authors :)

      Delete