Monday, May 13, 2013

End of An Era


Dark Whispers (Unicorn Chronicles, #3)Dark Whispers by Bruce Coville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I began reading "The Unicorn Chronicles" when I was in Elementary School. My best friend and neighbor had shared it with me and we both were in love with the world Coville had created. A few years later we were ecstatic to find the sequel, "Song of the Wanderer," and hoped that the rest of the story would be told soon. And then we waited...and waited...and waited, lol. Finally, as a young adult, I realized he was in the process of writing the final book. But I lost track of it and it was difficult to find in bookstores. Imagine my excitement when I discovered it on Amazon! And not just "Dark Whispers," but a fourth book in the series, "The Last Hunt!"
Reading this book has been like reading a piece of my childhood. We grew up with these characters, not unlike Harry Potter. But admittedly, I think I love Cara's world even more because she is a girl and because Luster remains such a magical, wonderful, at times terrifying place. I promised my former neighbor, who is still my best friend, that I'd let her borrow these once I finished. She'll be pleased to hear it so she too can begin to finish the series we started when we were just little girls, dreaming of Unicorns.

View all my reviews The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)The Last Hunt by Bruce Coville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

How do you review a book you've been waiting all your life to finally read? I began the Unicorn Chronicles as a Second Grader, and finished them eighteen years later. So much changed with these last two books. A very strange but amazing thing happened as I dove into the final two installments. Cara remained basically the same age, lending an air of timelessness to this tale. It brought me back to my childhood, but the world of Luster expanded so much I felt like this series grew up with me. It is larger than life and I'm convinced no one can write epic Unicorn novels like Bruce Coville. There really are no words to do it justice. You'll just have to read it and discover the mystery behind the magic for yourselves. I finished this book with a hint of sorrow and a sweet satisfaction in knowing our beloved characters will continue to have more adventures. If only we could break into Grimwold's cave and read them ourselves!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment